The overall wellness of African-American Woman and her family is our focus.
Very mindful of pervasive health issues that plague the African American community, a specific focus on metabolic syndrome is the focal point of NCBW’s health initiative. Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes. These conditions include increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels.
Enhancing and encouraging leadership skills in young girls. Advocating in support of educational issues for black women of all ages
1. NCBW – Central MS Chapter mentors recognize their role to include the following tenets:
- Manage the relationship
- Offer mutual respect
- Respond to the learner’s needs
2. Goal Statements of STEM are:
- To broaden participation of females in STEM careers
- To expand number of females who ultimately pursue degrees and careers in STEM fields
- To create awareness of STEM and the value of STEM in society
- To cooperate with other persons and organizations to achieve mutual goals
Economic Empowerment Initiative
Promoting the economic stability and advancement of African American women through symposiums, workshops and community forums
NCBW’s Economic Empowerment initiative (i.e., SISTER NOMIC$) focuses on economic growth for African American women. Specifically, this initiative addresses:
- Livable wage employment opportunities
- Pay equity
- African American women owned business growth
Benefits of Sister Nomic$ include:
- Women’s economic empowerment is central to realizing women’s rights and gender equality
- Empowering women in the economy and closing gender gaps in the world of work
- When more women work, economies grow. Women’s economic empowerment boosts productivity, increases economic diversification and income equality in addition to other positive development outcomes
Focusing on local, state and national political areas through voter education, registration and research
Recognizing that no person or government official can legally perform an act that tends to injure the public, the nucleus of NCBW’s Public Policy initiative focuses on legislative advocacy issues that include:
- Voter education/rights
- Civic engagement
- An increase of women candidates running for public office
- Timely policy alerts
- Position papers on public policy platform issues
Public Policy manifests the common sense and common conscience of the citizens as a whole that extends throughout the state and is applied to matters of public health, safety, and welfare.
Focusing on providing a scholarships and awards to female graduating students in the Central MS area attending a HBCU
NCBW recognizes that a college education can be quite expensive in every state. NCBW Central MS Chapter will provide scholarships to deserving female students. Students can apply for these scholarships before the deadline by clicking on the link below.